The College Internship Program at the Brevard Center provides individualized, post-secondary academic, internship and independent living experiences for young adults with Asperger's Syndrome and other Learning Differences.
Week in the Life
CIP's post-secondary programs offer unique academic, social, career and life skills curriculum specifically for young adults with Asperger's, Nonverbal, PDD-NOS, ADHD and other Learning Differences.
The year-round College Internship Program takes an intensive approach at helping young adults master the life skills they will need to success in college and career. The goal isn’t just academic success, but also developing the ability to cope well with life’s many demands. “The main goal is for them to become independent and self-supporting,” said CIP head student adviser Sharona Sommer.
Most parents dream of sending their kids off to college someday. But for parents of children with autism, even high-achieving kids with Asperger’s syndrome, college often seems like the impossible dream.
Dave and Kim Kennedy thought they would have to support their son, Chris, for the rest of his life. Diagnosed with a form of autism in high school, Chris fought bouts of depression. Though academically he was a high achiever, he didn’t like to talk to others, preferring to hide in books rather than socialize.
The Brevard Center is 30 minutes or less from over 14 colleges. Melbourne, Florida and the surrounding area has a wide variety of internship and career opportunities.
Located only 1 hour south of Orlando, Melbourne, Florida is home to The King Center, Bob Carr Auditorium, Kennedy Space Center and the beautiful Melbourne and Cocoa area beaches.
Local Colleges and Universities
- Brevard Community College
- Florida Institute of Technology
- University of Central Florida
- Keiser University See all options...
- Founding Principles
- Every individual inherently deserves to be treated with respect and dignity
- Social and emotional growth precedes all other growth
- We serve as a bridge in the understanding of Learning Differences
- The acceptance and understanding of self establishes a foundation on which the individual can build a happy and productive life
- We develop and teach a curriculum which leads to success in college and future careers
- Healthy environments and strong role models provide the atmosphere for the growth necessary for self-actualization